About Me

My photo
Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
I have been crafting since May 2008, when in desperation to find an unusual birthday card for my Mum, I gave up looking in the shops and decided to have a go at making my own. I soon realised that crafting is addictive and I haven't brought a card since. In 2011 I completed my certificate in papercrafting as a result of the work I did as part of the course I started entering challenges on line and in magazines. I applied for design teams and also started making samples for Ooh La La Creations for their shows on Create and Craft. I have now completed my Diploma in professional crafting and most recently been runner up in the Papercrafter of the Year 2013 a competition run by Papercraft essentials magazine, I don't have a particular style I like to use elements from lots of styles and techniques, although I do love all things vintage. In 2014 I started to move more towards scrapbooking to take care of the huge family archive of photographs that were stored in my attic. I have continued cardmaking and Scrapbooking through 2015 and 2016 but have also become interested in off the page projects. I hope to be able focus on these in the future.

Wednesday 12 March 2014

Animals at Fab n Funky

Good Morning everyone, firstly thank you for all the lovely entries into our Heatstroke challenge, I have to say they were all really 'hot' and warmed up the March evenings looking at them all. To find out if you were our winner please check the blog over at Fab n Funky

This week our theme is.....

Animals (no people allowed)

We have a brand new sponsor for this challenge in the shape of  


They have some wonderful images on their website and don't just provide digi stamps but also cross stitch kits and a range of fine art items also. 

I worked with their image called Wild 3 to make a get well card for my cousin who has recently undergone an operation to remove a brain tumour. He now has a long course of treatment to undergo and we are all hoping and praying he will make a full recovery. 


I coloured the image using coloured pencils, I don't use any particular fancy artists pencils, in fact I have a set of stubby pencils from my local supermarket which cost me under a fiver, from their kids art section. They have quite soft leads so lend themselves to blending and I use a paper stump to this, I will sometimes soak the tip of the stump with alcohol by placing it on the end of one my alcohol blending pens that I use with my Spectrum Noirs or Promarkers, but I usually just use the stump dry. I highlighted the fur by adding random strokes of colour from a metallic copper Jelly roll pen.

The paper is from a my craft studio CD Silhouettes with style. It actually comes up a pale pink on the CD but with a bit of manipulation the colour controls I managed to give it a lovely warm orange colour.  I really like the look of a stamped border on this paper and felt that the wild grasses fitted really well with the Tiger. To add to the background I also die cut two branches from black card and stuck these down before adding the image and the sentiment. 

I used bright orange and black card from American crafts to add some layers behind the background, image and sentiment. 

My cousin loved his card.

4 comments:

  1. Amazing card. Love your paper choice, too. Hugs, Sujin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card Alli....very sunny and bright and just perfect for a masculine get well card. Pat K x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Card looks great I can see why your cousin loved it - hope he has a speedy recovery.
    Beccy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alli, that is such a beautifully crafted card! I thought you'd hand stamped and inked the background at first, so clever to be able to manipulate the image before printing. The die cut trees work so well with the paper, hugely effective. Feels like a scene in the Savannah! Love it. Hugs, Wends x

    ReplyDelete