About Me

My photo
Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
I have been crafting since May 2008, when in desperation to find an unusual birthday card for my Mum, I gave up looking in the shops and decided to have a go at making my own. I soon realised that crafting is addictive and I haven't brought a card since. In 2011 I completed my certificate in papercrafting as a result of the work I did as part of the course I started entering challenges on line and in magazines. I applied for design teams and also started making samples for Ooh La La Creations for their shows on Create and Craft. I have now completed my Diploma in professional crafting and most recently been runner up in the Papercrafter of the Year 2013 a competition run by Papercraft essentials magazine, I don't have a particular style I like to use elements from lots of styles and techniques, although I do love all things vintage. In 2014 I started to move more towards scrapbooking to take care of the huge family archive of photographs that were stored in my attic. I have continued cardmaking and Scrapbooking through 2015 and 2016 but have also become interested in off the page projects. I hope to be able focus on these in the future.

Sunday 10 June 2012

50th Birthday Card and Tag



Next week  a good friend of mine celebrates her 50th birthday and I wanted to make her a special card to celebrate. Here's what I came up with.



I wanted a shabby chic/vintage feel to the card and I raided my stash, for anything that would work. Once I had collected everything together I narrowed things down a bit by deciding on the 'A little bird told me' theme. I found the image of the bird in a gorgeous little book of Victorian images I have in my stash and cut it out. The papers are from Paper Cellar and of course they have been distressed using my Ranger distress inks (where would I be without them) before being edged with a gold gilding pen. The bird cage was one I had left over from a previous project and I gilded this to make it match. Like wise the panel with the panel with the '50' on it was the centre section I had cut out of a frame from a previous project. The doily was one of several I liberated from a restaurant when we took my dad out for a birthday meal, they were on the saucers under the coffee cups and I rescued them, when I got them home I found that they were several layers thick so separated them - instant stash! I gilded the doily using the pen to keep to the golden theme. I used a small tag and added the hope wish and dream sentiments to one edge and the flowers to it before tying a bow in gold organza ribbon. The flowers were just from my stash and the delicate gold fern leaves were from a Christmas table decoration. The pins I made from recycled jewellery from a charity shop.
Finally the two butterflies were punched from pearlised paper that had been gilded with the pen.

Having had so much fun making the tag for the card I decided to go on and make a tag for Barbara's gift using more of the silk flowers and the butterflies.


 The leaves for the tag were cut from fabric and stuck down using aslan film.

I gave her the card and gift last night when we went out for a meal, which included excellent food, great company, much  laughter and Greek dancing!! Barbara was very good and resisted opening her card and present until her birthday next week - I hope she likes them and will forgive the copious amounts of birthday confetti concealed in the present.

I am entering the card into the following Challenges
http://fabnfunkychallenges.blogspot.co.uk/ - go green recycled doily, Jewellery and Christmas table decoration.
http://wildorchidchallenge.blogspot.co.uk/ - Bingo Buttons and pins, Blue, and wings (bird and butterflies)

I am entering the tag into the following challenges
http://cupcakecraftchallenges.blogspot.co.uk/ - tag you're it
http://movingalongwiththetimes.blogspot.co.uk/ - Anything but a card

9 comments:

  1. Your card and tag are really gorgeous - such lovely details and the colours tone so beautifully I'm sure your friend will love these - thank you for playing along at Fab'n'Funky Challenges and MAWTT this week hugs Judith x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your friend will love these, stunning work,Thanks for joining in our anything but a card challenge this week on MAWTT, Love Hazelxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ali this is absolutely gorgeous both card and tag are beautifully designed, the detail looks amazing it also has a shabby chic look to it which I totally adore, superb project.
    Hugs
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab project, love the effect! Many thanks for joining us at Fab'n'Funky this week and hope to see you again next week! judit x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The matching card and tag are lovely.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! your friend is going to love these, I adore your tag.
    thanks for joining in with MAWTT
    Hugs Mau xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic card Alli. I saw this on MIM..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful tag! Thanks for sharing with us at MAWTT this week and good luck! Pami x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...such a gorgeous card and tag. Love the beautiful soft color and all the layers of elements.
    Thank you for joining us at MIM this week.

    Please remember leave a comment for another entry to be in the running to win the prize from our sponsor this week. Be sure to mention you saw them on Make It Monday. The more entries you comment on the more chances you have of winning!

    ReplyDelete