About Me

My photo
Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
I have been crafting since May 2008, when in desperation to find an unusual birthday card for my Mum, I gave up looking in the shops and decided to have a go at making my own. I soon realised that crafting is addictive and I haven't brought a card since. In 2011 I completed my certificate in papercrafting as a result of the work I did as part of the course I started entering challenges on line and in magazines. I applied for design teams and also started making samples for Ooh La La Creations for their shows on Create and Craft. I have now completed my Diploma in professional crafting and most recently been runner up in the Papercrafter of the Year 2013 a competition run by Papercraft essentials magazine, I don't have a particular style I like to use elements from lots of styles and techniques, although I do love all things vintage. In 2014 I started to move more towards scrapbooking to take care of the huge family archive of photographs that were stored in my attic. I have continued cardmaking and Scrapbooking through 2015 and 2016 but have also become interested in off the page projects. I hope to be able focus on these in the future.

Sunday 1 January 2017

Hello everyone,
It has been a while since I blogged anything during the second half of 2016 I felt that my crafting mojo was slipping away and needed some new challenges. When I attended a Harry Potter event in August I made my own wand to take along and seeing some of the crafts there inspired me to take on making a full cosplay outfit for the next event it is still a work in progress but once finished it will be on display here. As a result of my husband telling our eldest grandson that I had made my own wand our little Slytherin decided that he would like one too. I decided that it would make a very special Christmas present to go with his Slytherin scarf from the Warner Brothers shop so I set about making one from him.

Having learnt by trial and error whilst making my own wand from a holly twig and paper clay I decided I needed something that was more robust and easier to model with. I chose to use Milliput a two part epoxy modelling medium.





I wanted to make it a bit special so I also bought a Papier Mache pencil box and a gauze bag everything else I had in the house from other projects, or in the case of the holly wood base for the wand in my garden.

I used a pencil sharpener to shape one end of the holly twig and let it dry out for a week before doing anything to it.

Once it was dry I used the Milli put mixed in accordance with the instructions and modelled the handle direct onto the twig. I used water to get a really smooth finish and took the milliput all the way down the twig and over the tip so it wasn't sharp.

Once it had dried I left it a couple of days sanded it painted it in various shades of brown acrylic and varnished it adding a green stone to the end.

The box I covered in some decopatch paper from my stash and lined it with a piece of satin from a fabric sample book.


Once all the glue was dry I added the metal corners and varnished it with deco art water based varnish.


I used the computer to make the label and aged it using distress ink nd gilding wax before adding it to the lid and covering it in another coat of varnish.


I printed the scroll giving the wand details and added my grandson's name explaining that the wand had chosen him on 25th December 2016. I also found a poster on Pinterest with all the wand movements and printed this off to fold in the box with the wand and scroll.


Finally I popped it in the bag and added the Wand chooses the Wizard tag.


I really had fun doing this project and Damien loved it when he opened his presents on Christmas morning.

I am entering this project into the following challenges.
http://lilpatchofcraftyfriends.blogspot.co.uk/  - Anything goes
http://craftyfriendschallengeblog.blogspot.co.uk/ - Anything goes
http://pdelinkyparty.blogspot.co.uk/ Anything goes
http://thatscraftychallenges.blogspot.co.uk/ - Anything goes

4 comments:

  1. Hello
    Thanks for joining our ‘Anything Goes’ Challenge with your gorgeous project... its stunning. Good luck in the draw and hope you will come back for our next challenge. Happy New Year.
    [Diane Louise, Team Leader for Crafty Friends Challenge Blog]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - this is such an awesome project! That wand is amazing! Thanks so much for sharing with us at PDE Linky Party! -Lori DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wooow very cool project.. loveeee it so much.. Thank you for sharing your talent with us at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends challenge #49.. Hope to see you again in our next challenge and Good Luck at the draw.. xx ~RoRa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous work! Thanks so much for sharing with us in the Crafty Friends "Anything Goes" challenge!
    Hugs,
    Leslie, Crafty Friends DT
    Love To Scrap!

    ReplyDelete