About Me

My photo
Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
I have been crafting since May 2008, when in desperation to find an unusual birthday card for my Mum, I gave up looking in the shops and decided to have a go at making my own. I soon realised that crafting is addictive and I haven't brought a card since. In 2011 I completed my certificate in papercrafting as a result of the work I did as part of the course I started entering challenges on line and in magazines. I applied for design teams and also started making samples for Ooh La La Creations for their shows on Create and Craft. I have now completed my Diploma in professional crafting and most recently been runner up in the Papercrafter of the Year 2013 a competition run by Papercraft essentials magazine, I don't have a particular style I like to use elements from lots of styles and techniques, although I do love all things vintage. In 2014 I started to move more towards scrapbooking to take care of the huge family archive of photographs that were stored in my attic. I have continued cardmaking and Scrapbooking through 2015 and 2016 but have also become interested in off the page projects. I hope to be able focus on these in the future.

Friday 24 May 2013

Going Green for Dad

I have recently been asked to make a number of Fathers Day cards for a friend at work and here is one of the designs I came up with.


I actually started from the wording on the sentiment, which I found on sheet of rub off sentiments which I have had in my stash for so long I forgot about them until a recent tidy up. This sort of set the theme as being seaside and sailing. I used the image of a lovely light house from Ooh La La Creations Boys to Men CD and I printed it off several times so that I could cut and layer the foreground up to add dimension. I also coated the areas of water with glossy accents to give a shine to the image. 

For the background I used a tag from the Boys to Men CD and resized it in My Craft Studio to give an 8x8 cloud background. I also printed a smaller version of the tag and added the sentiment to this. Once I stuck this onto dark blue card I matted and layered fine sand paper over the bottom half to make a beach




The waves were seagulls and an anchor were cut from scraps of card using x-cut build a scene dies.

The sailing ship was stamped using one of the new stamps from Papermania in the Ahoy There range. I fussy cut it and coloured it with promarkers and added black lines with a fine liner to give teh appearance of wood grain. The sails were actually stamped onto scraps of printable canvas from another project, and the sail was coloured green.


The 'fishing net' is a scrap of a net bag that once held cooking tomatoes ( I have a thing about recycling these net bags from fruit and veg as any regular readers will know and now even have my dad saving them for me) I stamped the star fish using a Kars stamp and coloured these with promarkers and added glossy accents. The 'drift wood sign' was printed onto a lovely white wood grain paper from the latest CD from Ooh La La - faithful friends and the the sign was stamped round it using another of the Ahoy There stamps from Papermania and was then fussy cut.

The finishing touches were the anchor which was threaded with bakers twine and three tiny sea shells that a friend's mum gave me because she thought they may come in useful for my card making.



I finished the card off by resizing the light house image from the front to 8x8 and then reducing the opacity of the image before printing. One side had a oval added using the digital punch function on My Craft Studio and a sentiment added. the final element was a light house cut from a design on the Ooh La La Creations CD Everyday Ocassions, which was placed at the edge of the oval to replace the original light house on the image which was partially obscured by the oval.

I am entering this card into the following challenges 
http://papertakeweekly.blogspot.co.uk/ - If the paper fits ( sails of the ship paper pieced using printable canvas)
http://cdsundaychallenge.blogspot.co.uk/ - Go Green (green used in the sail of the ship but the net is not only green in colour but also because it has been recycled)

11 comments:

  1. Very cleaver Alli and i love the verse. Adding the extra dimension and gloss works so well, thanks for joining us this week.
    sue-b xx
    Cd Sunday DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gorgeous card Alli and I am absolutely exhausted just reading how you made it. What patience and ingenuity.
    Thank you for joining in with us.
    Carol x
    CD Sunday DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a very inventive card and with a lovely sentiment too. Nice that you added so much texture with shells, netting and sandpaper.
    Jocelyn x
    CD Sunday DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is so much that has gone into this and it's great. I do like the sentiment and all the extra touches that you have taken the time and trouble over.
    Thanks for joining us at CD Sunday this week.
    Jenny x
    CD Sunday DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really lovely card, your green sail and recycled net is brilliant.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Alli, what a stunning card. Like Carol, I am exhausted reading how you put everything together. Well done on recycling. I like your sentiment and I am sure someone's father will love it.
    Thanks for joining us again this week.
    Christine xx
    CD Sunday DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - so much work and detail has gone into this card. It's terrific and I'm sure some dad somewhere is going to be very happy to received this.
    Thank you for joining us again this week.
    Beryl xx
    CD Sunday DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Carol I too felt quite tired after reading all the work you did on this brilliant card. That sentiment is so lovely & I am sure the person receiving will be absolutely delighted.
    Gloria
    GDT for May @ CD Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely verse for this wonderful Father Day card, I love it. Thanks for joining in at CD Sunday this week.

    Sue T x
    CD Sunday DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous Alli, such a lot of work, thanks for sharing at CD Sunday x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely creation! Thanks for joining us at PTW! xxx

    ReplyDelete