About Me

My photo
Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
I have been crafting since May 2008, when in desperation to find an unusual birthday card for my Mum, I gave up looking in the shops and decided to have a go at making my own. I soon realised that crafting is addictive and I haven't brought a card since. In 2011 I completed my certificate in papercrafting as a result of the work I did as part of the course I started entering challenges on line and in magazines. I applied for design teams and also started making samples for Ooh La La Creations for their shows on Create and Craft. I have now completed my Diploma in professional crafting and most recently been runner up in the Papercrafter of the Year 2013 a competition run by Papercraft essentials magazine, I don't have a particular style I like to use elements from lots of styles and techniques, although I do love all things vintage. In 2014 I started to move more towards scrapbooking to take care of the huge family archive of photographs that were stored in my attic. I have continued cardmaking and Scrapbooking through 2015 and 2016 but have also become interested in off the page projects. I hope to be able focus on these in the future.

Sunday, 3 July 2011

Free Gifts put to good use.

Good morning everyone, as an avid reader of various cardmaking magazines I find my stash increases regularly with the numerous free gifts and papers that these magazines give away every month. A few months ago I became the proud owner of some really gorgeous chipboards designed by artist Faye Whittaker, however as much as I loved the nostalgic images of Victorian children at the seaside, I was busy making football themed cards for a customer so I didn't get a chance to use them until last night.

With a few blog challenges having summer as a theme they were perfect so I pulled them out of my stash box and the below card is the result. Designed specifically for the challenge over at Wild Orchid their challenge 26 was to design a card using at least one of their products depicting friendship in a shabby chic style.


I started with the image of the little boy and girl sharing an umbrella their arms around each others backs, Faye Whittaker's image is beautifully detailed, and the deep pink of the little girls dress and the dark blue of the boys trousers gave me the starting point for the colour scheme.

The papers I chose for the matting and layering are from the Hunkydory Classic Cameo range, and are double sided. I started by cutting a square slightly smaller than my 8x8 base card and turned the top right hand corner over to show the reverse of the paper and secured this with a papermania pearly brad, this was then stuck to the base card using double sided sticky tape.

I then used a heart shaped doily from Wild Orchid which I had stained using a very weak solution of coffee to get an aged look and this was enhanced further by using a hot air gun to dry the doily so I could work with it.

Whilst I really liked the pink paper from the Classic Cameo collection I wanted a slightly darker pink for the panel on the main card so I inked the surface with tattered rose from the Tim Holtz distress inks range.


I wrapped some lace and satin ribbon around the pink panel before securing it to the base card. The doily was then stuck at an angle on the top of the pink panel and I made a further blue panel using off cuts from the main panel as a base which I darkened using faded denim distress ink, before sticking a slightly smaller panel that displayed the reverse of the paper. this panel was then stuck to the base to overlap the doily.

When I placed the chipboard tag in the position I wanted it to be in it looked slightly lost so I used some card I had left over from a previous project that had been coloured in the faded denim distress ink and a piece of the pink paper and ran them through my sizzix with the largest and second largest nestibilities scalloped oval dies. The tag was then stock to the centre of this and the whole panel was attached to the card using glue gel to give a raised effect.


I then added the spray of roses to the bottom of the framed image. I finished off by adding some curly peel offs into the spray of flowers, and I used an odd corner peel off from my stash to finish off the top right hand corner. A sentiment was added onto the blue panel and a strip of pearls was added on the satin ribbon to finish off the card.


Now I have used the first of my Faye Whittaker chip boards to create this card I am now full of ideas for designs using the others and I can feel a theme developing for my card making this week.

I have entered this card in the following challenges.
http://wildorchidchallenge.blogspot.com  - Shabby Chic friendship
http://craftuscrazy.blogspot.com - red white and blue and/or summer

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful card with lots of fab details! Love that stunning lace! Thanks for joining us at WOC this challenge x

    ReplyDelete